2013 Updates

By it's very nature, diary based blogs such as this become repetitive after a couple of years and it's increasingly fifficult to find something new to add. So, from March onwards, I'm going to cut down on the number of posts to only those that I think will be of interest to readers. Posts from previous years will still be accessible but I won't repeat stuff unless there is significant change.

If you really need more information on a post or topic, please feel free to message me and I'll do my best to respond within 24 hours.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, 9 May 2013

Re-commissioning of the greenhouse!

If there's one job I dread at this time of year it's clearing out the main greenhouse in readiness for the new season.  It always takes me far longer than I anticipate but as a plus means I usually find 'lost' items, such as my new secateurs which I mislaid last autumn.  With tomatoes, chillies and cucumber plants at, or approaching, the time when they need to go into their final containers, it's a job that really couldn't wait any longer.  As far as my indoor crop of tomatoes are concerned, this is Gro-Bags.


My preference is for the larger Giant Tomato Planters from Levingtons, which have the benefit of holding around twice as much growing medium as standard bags.  This year, I'm growing 'Dometica' which, after trialing it last year, seems to have more flavour than 'Cedrico', but still delivering the quality I want for my local show.  My plants are a bit on the small side this year, but they'll soon catch up.


As in previous years, I'm only growing 2 plants per bag in bottomless pots fitted into the Gro-bags.  Between the plants, I fit smaller bottomless pots which act as watering points.  This allows all the water/fertiliser to get straight to the roots and ensures that the compost remains moist at all times.  Using this method has definitely contributed to the better crops I've had over recent years.

1 comment:

  1. Hi mate, just to let you know I am back up and running from accidentally deleting my blog
    I am now at
    http://qualityveggrowing.com/

    Cheers
    Darren

    ReplyDelete